RACV Maryborough Energy Breakthrough
Since 2008 Creative Environment has been working in partnership with Treecreds to deliver sustainability services to the annual Energy Breakthrough event held in Maryborough.
Attended each year by thousands of keen, excited and inspired primary and secondary school students, the Energy Breakthrough is something of a “Green Grand Prix”. Students enter the competition from around Australia, and overseas, design building and racing their own alternative-powered vehicles.
Creative Environment Enterprises has been working closely with the event co-ordination team and lead sponsors, the RACV, to improve the sustainability of the event.
After initial Level 2 audit in 2008, we have been monitoring the environmental impacts and supporting the event to make improvement every year. To date the list of achievements is impressive, with time and dedication shown from RACV, the Energy Breakthrough co-ordinators and the hosting Central Goldfields Shire staff and contractors. Achievements include:
- Installation of efficient showerheads in all permanent shower facilities onsite; Installation of additional rainwater tanks reducing the amount of potable water used for irrigation of the site and flushing of toilets.
- Installation of solar powered (permanent) streetlights along the path around the lake;
- Use of portable solar powered (mobile) streetlights around the main event marquees and stalls area;
- Use by participating schools of solar and pedal powered battery charging facilities for the HPV vehicles;
- Re-introduction of a passenger train service by V Line from Melbourne to Maryborough for the 2010 event;
- Increased use of laptops rather than desktop PCs in the office headquarters
- Development of online ‘transport carbon calculator’;
- Announcement of “Sustainable Traffic Light Project”;
- Water leak(s) at the caravan park meter box repaired.